A fire at Durham Regional Hospital early this morning killed a patient and injured three staff, according to WRAL reporters.
Officials were still investigating but preliminary findings suggest the fire started during a defibrillation procedure, with a spark igniting the blaze on the 6th floor of the facility. Investigators said all procedures to contain the fire were followed and the sprinklers worked correctly.
Initially reported as an explosion at 2:15AM, the Durham Fire Department found no evidence of a blast upon arrival at the scene. The 6th floor of the hospital housed a facility that specialized in acute care for long-term patients, specifically those that can expect long hospital stays. For the staff, personal injury should be a serious concern with faulty equipment like the defibrillator.